Water is the source of life. We use it to clean, drink, cook, and more. Imagine having no safe water to clean or drink. Residents of Monroe County and Toledo, Ohio were recommended to stock up on bottled water this weekend due to the toxin, microcystin. Microcystin is a toxin created by the blooms of cyanobacteria, large amounts of harmful algae blooms. Symptoms of drinking the contaminated water with microcystin are nausea, vomiting, and dizziness. If it comes into contact with your skin, it can cause skin irritation or liver and kidney damages. This toxin left 400,000 people in Ohio and Michigan without water to drink, bath, or use at all for almost three days.
During that period of no safe water, thousands of residents had to go out and buy bottled water that suddenly was cost inflated by the demand. After all, Microcystin cannot be removed by boiling water but the use of powered activated carbon (PAC), iron oxide nanoparticles, and ultrafiltation (UF) membranes. However, this was not the first time residents of Toledo had faced microcystin in their water. The World Health Organization has recently set a new provisional guideline value for microcystin- LR of 1.0 microg/L drinking water.
Remember: the first thing unavailable in most emergencies is potable drinking water. Check out our website for our Filtercon Emergency Filtration Systems http://www.filtercon.com/specials
Image Credit to Haraz N. Ghanbari/AP