How did you celebrate Earth Day on Wednesday? If you participated in this environmentally conscious holiday, you weren’t alone. Over 190 countries in the world vowed to protect their planet in 2015. Many events took place all over the world, including a carnival and beach cleanup in Madagascar, collection of litter around the Great Wall of China, and an environmental film festival right here in our very own state of California. Some of you are thinking, “But Earth Day is only one day!” And to those, I say you’re wrong. We should be celebrating Earth Day every day! In the United States, California has been hit with a serious drought. So to be extra conscious about our drought and continue in the Earth Day spirit, I’m giving you 8 ways to be water-wise every day!
1) Turn off the faucet!
- Turning off your faucet when brushing your teeth can save a lot of water. Little steps like these may seem small, but add up and are effective on a larger scale.
2) Buy a filtering water bottle.
- Buying a reusable water bottle rather than buying single bottles of water can save a lot of money. But, buying a filtered water bottle can save a lot of money and also be beneficial to your health. It’s important to filter the chemicals out of faucet water so that you don’t ingest them. We recommend our Filtercon one that filters 300 bottles worth of water.
3) Make sure your pool/pond is equipped with a re-circulating pump.
- Re-circulating pumps help by putting pool/pond water back into it when it doesn’t need to be cleaned. These settings are usually in use when no one is using it and can save hundreds of gallons of water.
4) Take shorter showers.
- Limiting your shower time to less than 5 or 10 minutes can really help conserve water in your home. So wash, rinse, and get out!
5) Water your grass less.
- Everyone likes to keep a healthy lawn, but over-watering your grass can not only waste water, it also doesn’t even help because the top water evaporates quickly! Watering 1-2 times weekly is enough.
6) Only run the dishwasher when full.
- Turing on your dishwasher once a day can be extremely wasteful, especially when you’re only cleaning a couple of dishes! So fill your dishwasher until it’s full before pressing Start.
7) Encourage others!
- Teaching others how to be water-conscious maximizes the amount of water saved tenfold! So start right now by showing your family how to use less water with the other 7 steps shown here.
8) Buy a sustainable filtered water system
- Did you know that buying a sustainable filtered water system can save you money, time, and increase your health? Filtercon Technologies has a whole-house system that can put clean, filtered water into every spout in your house. Check out how our advanced technology works by clicking on the link below and scrolling down to the video at the bottom of the page!
If you want to learn more ways to conserve water in your daily life, wateruseitwisely.com has can show you 100+ ways to save water. Let’s celebrate Earth Day every day!