Dog? Cat? Ferret? Koala? Our pets are important to us, which is why we need to always make sure they’re healthy. Part of that means making sure they aren’t outside in the heat for too long and making sure they get enough water. Did you know that animals can survive if they lose all of their body fat, but can become seriously ill if they lose just 10% of the water in their body? It’s a scary thought to think about Fido getting heatstroke, so make sure that you take the necessary steps to keep your pet healthy. Here are some tips for keeping your pet out of the heat and making sure they’re hydrated:
1) Don’t leave your pet in the car for more than 10-15 minutes in temperatures over 65 degrees Farenheight, especially if he/she is known to have have respiratory issues
2) Make sure your pet has water. Living things need water to survive, this is a fact. Your pet is no exception. If you’re traveling, make sure you have a bowl or bottle so that you can give your pet the water it needs to stay hydrated
3) Don’t trim too much hair off of your pet. The layers of your pet’s coat help to keep them from getting a sunburn and overheating. It’s okay to trim long hair, but remember that hair works differently for pets than it does for humans
4) Sometimes it’s better to leave your pet at home. We know you think your puppy or bunny is soooooo cute, but heat affects animals differently than it does humans. So think about letting your pet get some rest in the shade rather than taking him/her on that 6 mile hike you’re going on this weekend
5) KNOW THE SIGNS. When your dog is panting or your cat is trying to find a shady spot under a tree, make sure he/she is okay. For more information on signs and symptoms that your pet may be ill, visit petmd.com
Filtercon Technologies is a full-line water filtration company located in San Diego, California. We know it gets hot out here, and we know we have to keep our pets hydrated while also doing our part to save water during this drought. Our company creates sustainable water filters that purify water without wasting it. With our products, Fido will be healthy and you’ll be saving money. Check out our website, http://www.filtercon.com, or give us a call at 800-550-1995 for more info.